In today’s episode of the Female CEO Club, Liz the host is joined by Hayley Brightmore. Hayley is a founder and Director of Knight Transaction Services and personally leads transaction support projects from discussion and preparation through to delivery and completion. Prior to joining the Knight Group, Hayley has ten years’ experience as a due diligence specialist, at Mazars and Grant Thornton, and has worked with a wide range of private equity houses, banks and corporate clients.
Hayley talks about her journey into professional services, taking the plunge and setting up Knight transaction services. She shares what inspired the decision, biggest success and achievement, common myths about starting your own business and some advice for someone considering moving up the corporate ladder or starting their own business.
Here are key things to listen out for:
- Common theme of light bulb moments: A lot of stories about people that have launched new businesses and business ideas.
- Hayley’s two main reasons that made her decide it was the right time to take the plunge and set up Knight Transaction Services.
- Learn more about writing letters on Future me website
- Professional services field is not a level playing field.
- Unpicking the cliche, the best person gets the job, Mantra.
- Why network is important in business.
- Why we should celebrate ourselves.
- [00:39] A little bit about Hayley Brightmore and what she does.
- [01:29] What inspired Hayley to take the plunge and set up Knight transaction services.
- [04:29] What are some of Hayley’s biggest achievements, and how does she feel about the growth her business has undertaken?
- [06:13] How Hayley ensures that she is taking the time to reflect on everything and not placing undue emphasis on what is ahead.
- [08:29] Hayley’s business goals.
- [10:10] How Hayley keeps herself motivated to do more and to keep going.
- [12:13] How has being a woman in the professional services industry affected Hayley’s breakthrough?
- [13:28] What needs to be done, in Hayley’s opinion, in the professional services industry to improve the situation for women.
- [15:36] Hayley’s biggest struggle to run her business.
- [18:35] One common myth around running a business now and how Hayley discovered the truth behind it.
- [20:10] Advice from Hayley for someone considering moving up the corporate ladder or starting their own business.
- “As long as I feel challenged, and there’s something to go up, that’s, that’s a huge motivation and recognition.”
- “The future me thing does play a big part in that it just, it’s that sense of stepping back, taking stock and giving yourself a pat on the back, and then starting again.”
- “When you’ve got that kind of internal monitoring, it becomes kind of external. It’s like somebody’s watching the journey. And if you don’t do it, you feel like you’ve got someone to answer to.”
- “I can honestly say, I’ve never felt personally held back by being a female in the sense that I couldn’t, you know, I couldn’t see a route to the top. But I do see how women can absolutely see that as an impossible challenge.”
- “There are so many conscious biases to overcome in order to get to one person’s perception of best. So, I think best needs to be clearly defined and best needs to be genuinely results based.”
- “It’s so important that the non-minority men in this case are also involved in bringing about the change because continued progression by women into senior leadership roles will create even more flexibility for men to embrace that change.”
- “Don’t underestimate the power that people are willing to help and, and people do genuinely want you to succeed. So, ask for favours.”
Connect with Hayley Brightmore
Connect with Female CEO Club
Call to Action
We would really appreciate it if you shared this episode with your friends. To help this podcast grow, leave an iTunes review, and don’t forget to subscribe to our show! And of course, be sure to follow the Female CEO Club Podcast across all social media channels. Each month, we will be running a giveaway. All you need to do is take a screenshot of you listening to the show, tag us in that post on social media and we’ll announce one lucky winner each month to receive a gorgeous notepad and pen!